In this article, i will share my knowledge on how to write a blog description for better ranking in Google SERPs. Before proceeding further let me ask you some questions:
- How many characters do you use in blog description?
- How to make a unique and attractive blog description?
If you are confused about how to write your meta description and how to optimize it bare with me for the next 5 minutes i will solve this problem. To rank high in Google SERPs, it is essential to write user-friendly and search engine optimized blog description. Let’s discuss this in detail.
Table of Contents
What is a Meta Description?
In Google, when we search for any inquires. Google suggests related articles in the form of title and description. The heading of the post is the title tag. And the bottom paragraph is meta description or we also call it blog description. You can say it is a summary of the whole article. You can write a maximum of 160 characters in your meta description.
Why is Blog Post Description Important?
We see that Google shows our post in search results title, URL, and meta description only. It means Google is focusing more on the meta description and title that you have written. So, it is essential for ranking and grabbing more organic clicks.
User notice blog descriptions first. If your meta description is unique, attractive, and clickable, then the chances are that user will click more on your article as compared to other ranking websites, However, Google notices that if your post’s click is higher than the top-ranking post, Google will push your organic rankings much higher automatically.
The important thing you should consider is that the description written for the item is called blog post meta description. And when you write a description for your home page is called blog description. Therefore, you have to write a description of articles and home page both. For the homepage, you have to write only once however if you are publishing a new article you have to write for every new post you publish.
Where can I Write Description for Home Page and Article?
For general, if you use any plugin like Rank Math or Yoast SEO. Go to Page section and click edit home page. Scroll down to the bottom click edit snippet. Edit snippet section will be only visible if you have installed Yoast or rank math WordPress plugins.
Now you can write or edit a description. Same you can write a description for any page on your blog.
To write a description for the article, you have to click on the edit post section and scroll down to the edit snippet section and now you can edit your meta description as well as the title, permalink of the post.
How to Write Perfect Meta Description
- Keywords: – I highly recommend you must use primary keywords in your meta description. This will help your article to get pulled by search engines because of relevancy. You can also add more than one keyword in the focus keyword section if you are using rank math. If you are a user of Yoast you cannot add more than one focus keyword.
- Persuasive words: – Almost all e-commerce websites use power words in the product description to increase conversions. You know, it rises to 33.4% chances that users buy the product. Use words like NEW, Better Updated, etc.
- Don’t use Duplicate Description: – Lots of newbie bloggers write the same meta description for various articles. It affects your ranking, don’t use duplicate meta descriptions. Write unique descriptions.
- Use investigational words: – If you write review articles, then use words like best, list, top, etc in the meta description as well as in the title of your article.
- Write unique: – I see lots of bloggers copy description from the articles that already ranks at the top. Must write a unique and related meta description for your content.
- Avoid writing too long: – Don’t write more than 155 to 160 characters in the meta description. Google does not consider long blog descriptions.
- LSI keyword: – Try to use LSI keywords in your article and in your meta as well. If you don’t know, what are the LSI keywords? Then read our previous post. In short, those keywords which are already indexed in google are known as LSI keywords. Don’t forget to add some relevant LSI keywords for better rankings.
- Write readable description: – Don’t write too complicated and strict to read sentences. In other words, don’t use too many special symbols. Write to the point in simple language descriptions.
- Write actionable sentence: – Use sentences like ‘follow these steps to increase clicks‘ this type of sentence is an actionable sentence; it increases clicks.
- Avoid using negative words: – Don’t use negative words in the main title and description, like Damage, Evil, Harmful, Hate, etc. These words can reduce clicks. However, you can use these sentences in the body of your article if you want.
- Write related description: – I already discussed above that the meta description is the summary of the whole post. So, write a meta description related to the post.
- Lists: – If you are writing a list post try to add some examples fro your post and add it to your blog’s description. Let me give you some example: If you are writing about 10 Website traffic checker tools then add some two to three tool names in your meta description this will help you to boost seo of your blog article
List of Amazing Meta Descriptions Examples
Let’s see examples of a meta description that uses Pro Bloggers on his posts. You can get ideas from these examples for better understanding. And use it as a reference.
This is the excellent meta description for promotion because he uses ‘best’ word and example tools in the meta description. If you write a review post, then you can get an idea to backlinko.com. This is one of the best blog description examples you should use in your blog.
- NeilPatel.com Blog Description
This is good because he uses the sentence, “Want to learn more about SEO.” These are call-to-action sentences. You can also use call-to-action. That increase clicks.
The word ‘list’ and ‘100% free’ give a perfect region for those users who search for free keyword research tools.
You can see the below meta description of Gadgets.ndtv.com, how crisp and to the point blog description they have written.
This meta description is beautiful because, the words like specs, review, latest, and experts increase trust to the users.
Why is this good? because ‘undoubtedly’ ‘most popular’ and ‘potent processors,’ these words are the best examples of powerful words. You can use it for more clicks.
If you write articles related to ‘how to’ and ‘learning.’ Then use the word ‘learn’ and ‘tutorials, etc. these words full fill the intent of the uses.
See the word ‘honest’ and ‘consumer reviews’ build trust. Also, Mouthshut.com use examples like movie, cars, bikes, music, etc. Users relate to his topic and click on it. In other words, he describes the whole blog in brief.
Above i have listed the best meta description example for your better understanding.
How to Write Meta Description in Blogger.com?
If you don’t know how to write meta tags in blogger, then follow these steps.
- Open your blogger dashboard click on settings.
- Now click Search Preferences. See in the top Meta tags.
- Check ‘yes’ radius box.
- You can write a meta description in the box.
- Notice that you can write a maximum of 150 characters.
- Now, click save changes
Free Meta Description Generator Tools:
Also, you can check out more blogging tools i use for my business.
Blog description helps you to get more clicks and better ranking if you are in a competitive industry. Attractive seo friendly meta description can help you win the race to the 1st page of Google. So you should edit your blog description before hitting the publish button on your wordpress dashboard. Also, you can use Grammarly to make your article perfect for your visitors.
I hope all your questions related to the blog and article description is solved. Leave a comment below how did you find it.